Yash Sinha - Week 14 - My Favorite Memory
Throughout my 16 (almost 17) years of living, I’ve developed an extremely large amount of memories. Some of these memories were sad like the memories of family members passing. Others are much more cheerful such as getting my drivers license. And some are a combination of many different emotions. However, out of all the memories that my brain has generated, there is only one memory which I consider my favorite.
The day was October 7, 2017, I was just 9 years old and my father and I woke up at 4:00 AM to fly to Portland, Oregon. We drove to the airport and parked our car in the airport parking lot. We then walked to the airport and went through the regular airport procedures. Finally, we were waiting in the gate, our hearts filled with excitement. My dad was holding a pet carrying bag, however it was empty. A flight attendant came up to us as we were finding our seats on the plane and asked “Excuse me sir, is there supposed to be a pet in that bag?” My dad simply responded “No, but there will be on the way back.”
This was my moment of realization. This is when it actually hit me that I was finally getting a dog. All those years of begging my parents and researching dog breeds paid off and it was finally time. We sat in the plane for about an hour and a half and left the plane as soon as possible. We went to the front entrance where we saw a lady sitting on a bench. We recognized this lady from the pictures and she was the dog breeder, however, she did not have our dog anywhere near her. “Where is he?” I thought to myself, and then her jacket started to move a little and from the neckline, a fluffy little head popped out. I smiled from ear to ear and I could not stop, I started walking faster eager to meet the lady and the dog that would very soon be ours. My dad and the lady were getting some paperwork done while I was sitting next to them holding Odin. I could not let go of him, he was about the size of my dad’s hand at the time and he was irresistible.
Finally the paperwork was done and we went to board our flight back, however our flight was delayed. Luckily, we found a different flight to San Francisco rather than Oakland and we were able to board. When we got home, we were met by roughly 15 people all waiting to meet the new dog. This memory is one that I have become so emotionally attached to that I can never forget and I regularly think about. I am so grateful to be able to experience this.

Happy almost 17th birthday Yash. I never considered having a favorite memory. I will consider it now. I can’t think of anything. Oh my god, your favorite memory is so freaking cute I would literally pass out if that happened to me. I understand what you mean by favorite memory now. Wait that’s actually so sweet of your dad. I like how he didn’t tell you directly that’s such a goated move. The dog being in the woman’s coat is actually so cute man. Odin is a very cool name for a dog. 15 people waited to greet your dog? What? You must have a lot of friends or something. That’s a really nice memory, Yash, thanks for sharing. I’ve always wanted a dog so badly, and my parents never agreed. My dad got like traumatized by a dog as a kid or something, and my mom hates the fur and the smell. If this happened to me, I don’t think I would ever stop smiling for at least 3 weeks. I’m glad you were able to experience that, Yash! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHi, Yash! I'm glad that you were able to get your driver's license. I am going to get mine over the summer and I can’t wait. I hope the test wasn’t too much trouble. I really like your blog on your most favorite memory, picking up your pet dog, Odin from Oregon. I personally, always wanted a dog, even from a young age, but could never get one as my mom was allergic. She always jokes about how “it is either me or the dog,” ending the conversation there. I think you are really lucky that you have such a nice pet. I did have a pet once, but it was only a goldfish and it had died young despite the fact that I fed it and took care of it well at home. I like how you were able to share something close and dear to you, it shows great courage on your part. I personally believe that your blog is really engaging as it has a sense of authenticity that appeals to the readers feelings of genuinity.
ReplyDeleteHi Yash! Nice job getting your license, I’m still working on mine and preparing for the inevitable car crash this week. But when I was younger I begged and begged my parents to get me a dog. At some point, the finally relented and promised me that I would get a dog once I turned twelve. Guess what I never got? I have a stinky, stupid bunny right now, but I love him very much. Regardless, it’s heartwarming to see how much you treasure your dog, and it’s really sweet that your parents flew to across state lines for her. I hope you give her many treats and pets!
ReplyDeleteHi Yash, happy almost 17th birthday! I have been wanting to get my license, mostly peer pressured by my parents and brothers, but I am terrified to be behind the wheels. When everyone asks me why, I respond with the phrase “my impulsive thoughts,” like what would happen if I slightly swerved my car to the right or sped through a red light. Also, I have a terrible sense of direction, I have to physically put up my hands and see which ones I eat with to figure out my right side of the road. Like I previously mentioned in my blog, it is beautiful, almost magical, that our brain can process and sort out memories based on the intensity of the feeling we felt that moment. While you vividly remember the day you got your dog, you also equally remember the “sad memories of family members passing.” But it is the feeling of serotonin that you feel every time you recollect that memory which makes it stored so clearly in your brain’s library. Also, it is such a blessing that we have a built in time travel machine, our brain, where we can pick which moment of our life to revisit. The memories almost bend time, coming back for us to relish one more time.
ReplyDelete