Anushree Navaneethakrishnan - Week 10: Double Edge Sword - 1/29
Ego is defined as a “person’s sense of self-esteem and self-importance” by the Oxford Dictionary. Ego builds empires. Ego destroys empires. It is the significant force behind every mastermind’s bold decisions and innovations, and history makes sure that we never forget this. However, history refuses to highlight the same force that is behind every downfall, turbulence, and isolation – ego. The power of ego is not a debate about whether it exists, because in fact everyone knows there is a fuel inside them that keeps them running no matter the obstacle that stands in their way. The power of ego lies behind the individual’s decision to balance between its constructive and destructive side.
At its best, ego provides the reassurance that what they are doing is the right thing, pushing people to strive for excellence. Without it, there would be no artists that think their work is meant for creating, athletes would not trust in their ability to win, scientists would end their work thinking their innovation is a mere delusion, and writers would doubt every word they write. Progress in the world would stay stagnant because no one would have faith in themselves or their intuition. Ego is that inner monologue – that little voice – in everyone whispering: “You are capable.”
The double-sided nature of ego can be seen as ego blurs the line between confidence and reality, as it rapidly pushes people out of their thrones, resembling a downward spiral similar to that of tragedies of Greek mythology’s heroes. It instills a sense of nature that makes human beings think they are above any mistake or person. Ego turns constructive criticism into a personal attack, turning people defensive rather than accepting and learning. History is filled with examples – CEOs who refused to share power, dictators who violently turned down oppositions, and artists that would resist new ideas, clinging onto their outdated ones.
The paradoxical nature of ego is that people who have a high amount of it seek validation but end up becoming isolated due to it. It corrodes many nurturing relationships and any sense of rational thinking left. People who have the courage to acknowledge their ego will reach the position they want to attain, because then ego becomes a guiding force. The power of ego is not eliminating it, but balancing it.

Hi, Anushree! I really enjoyed your post this week because I think the topic of ego is such an interesting one. As you stated, it both “builds empires” and “destroys them,” which I think I definitely had to reflect on for my post last week. Every decision is fueled by ego in some way, and I thought it was really interesting how you mentioned that the power our ego has over us is only the same as our “decision to balance between its constructive and destructive side.” This theme of balance reminded me of another ego that I learned about last year in psychology. In psychoanalytic theory, the “ego” is a part of the mind that balances our desires and pleasures (called the id) and our moral values (the superego). I think this reinforces the fact that our selfishness, like anything else, requires balance. While it is obvious that too much can destroy a person, too little confidence in one’s own abilities also is incredibly harmful. That’s why I really appreciated your last line because it truly is not about wholly “eliminating” your faith in yourself but about not overdoing it. Your descriptive tone with phrases like ego “push[ing] people out of their thrones” helped make your post this week more engaging and enjoyable as well! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this incredibly interesting topic!
ReplyDeleteHi Anushree. I really liked your narrative on ego and how it has both a good and bad side to it. I like how you first defined the term according to a credible dictionary source, this is a style I personally like to make use of in my blogs from time to time. I enjoyed your riveting use of language, specifically the use of short sentences in tandem to prove a point to the reader. I also like to say first and foremost that I completely agree with your views on ego and how it is a double edged sword. If I had a penny for every empire that failed due to a person's pride and ego I would be a millionaire right now. Just as ego has both good and bad sides one must be aware of their surroundings as well as be humble when success is achieved, otherwise they must be ready to be humbled by those who took them out due to leaving their guard down. I personally faced many such issues that have risen when I believe that I could have been more humble and had faced the consequences of not doing so.
ReplyDeleteHi Anushree! All though I always knew about the negative effects having a large ego can do to a person, I never really considered the way so many historical figures were praised for the way their egos led them to victorious lives while failing to consider how that same ego "is behind every downfall." That sentence alone in your introduction was so powerful for me, really setting the stage for the rest of your blog while emphasizing the destructive power this concept of self can have on everything around you. Even with this introduction, I appreciated the way you elaborated on the good that comes out of ego, showing that not everything is as simple as black and white. While ego can definitely lead to a multitude of negative effects, I love how you also described it as an "inner monologue" that reminds you of your own capabilities each day. Your metaphorical writing style in this blog really captured my attention, especially your view of ego as a tragic Greek tale, leading to a "downward spiral" that was evident not only in our history, but in present circumstances today as well. Surrounded by people in a world that constantly state the horrors of having an ego and the way it can be anyone's downfall, your blog was really refreshing as it focused less on the tragedy of ego, but rather on the importance of learning how to balance it to lead a successful life. You understand that sometimes having an ego is necessary to achieve your dreams, but it is also critical not to reach too far with said ego, as it can still lead to many negative effects in the long run.
ReplyDeleteHi Anushree! I like how you began your blog with a definition of the term ego and then proceeded to build off this definition with your own thoughts about it. I think the power of ego is something that has continued to be a huge part of history for centuries and it can even be considered the driving force behind many large events. I also like how you incorporated a counterclaim to show that there are benefits to egos such as the motivation and determination which it brings. I think there is most definitely a double-sided nature of ego as it can benefit and harm a person or society. I also never looked at ego as something that could be used as a guiding force as I always thought it was something that would hold people back. This blog has changed my perspective on egos and helped me realize that having an ego is not entirely bad but it must be controlled. Overall, this blog was extremely helpful and definitely changed how I think about egos. Thank you very much for sharing.
ReplyDelete