Hein Zaw - Week 12 : Subtle Ways Language Shapes Authority

 We often think of power as something held by politicians, CEOs, or military leaders. But power is also wielded in subtle ways—through language. The way we phrase things, the words we choose, and even the tone we use can establish authority or undermine it.

Consider the difference between a direct command and a polite suggestion. A boss saying, "Submit this report by 5 p.m." exerts clear authority, while "Could you get this to me by 5 p.m.?" softens the demand. The second option leaves room for negotiation, subtly shifting the power balance.

This phenomenon extends beyond the workplace. In education, the way teachers address students impacts classroom dynamics. A teacher who consistently frames instructions as questions—"Would you like to open your textbooks?"—may struggle to maintain authority compared to one who states, "Please open your textbooks now."

    Another example is how expertise is communicated. Professionals use jargon to establish credibility. A doctor explaining a diagnosis in medical terms projects authority, whereas a simplified explanation might make them seem more approachable but less authoritative. The ability to switch between complex and simple language is a key tool in maintaining power.       Gender also plays a role in language and authority. Studies show that women often use more hedging language—phrases like "I think" or "maybe"—to avoid sounding too forceful. Meanwhile, men are more likely to use definitive statements, reinforcing perceptions of confidence and competence. These linguistic differences contribute to gender disparities in leadership and influence. 

    Even in casual conversations, language shapes authority. The person who speaks the most in a discussion often dominates it. Interruptions, tone, and word choice all affect whose voice carries the most weight.

    Understanding these subtle linguistic power plays helps us navigate social and professional spaces more effectively. By being mindful of how we use language, we can assert authority when needed, challenge unfair power dynamics, and ensure that all voices are heard.


https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/12/30/how-much-does-our-language-shape-our-thinking


Comments

  1. Hi Hein, I love how you decided to choose and explicate such an overlooked aspect of life. So many lessons taught in school and the extracurriculars we decide to focus on place a major emphasis on STEM, forgetting many of the crucial elements such as language and communication. I feel as if from childhood we were brainwashed to think that the only way to reach power or full potential is through education, mainly STEM, and attend interviews to find the best suitable job that maximizes your salary. I recently learned about code-switching, which is when people switch between languages to fit in best during a situation. While the tone and the way you convey language also affects the power you hold among a conversation, the switch in languages also puts the people around you at ease, gaining a very nurturing environment and trust. Code-switching for so long has been treated with a negative connotation and associated with a stereotype related to immigrants, but your blog brings such a new and refreshing perspective to this notion, hopefully triggering a nuanced understanding and societal progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hein, I really enjoyed your blog on the power of subtle spoken cues that shape the way we look at authority. I also believe that authority is not held up only in the grasp of those with big titles like CEOs and executives. I think that the way a person puts themselves forward demonstrates the power they would hold over others in conversations and other things. I like your direct use of an example of a statement that is synonymous with teaching and how it could dictate the attitude of the students and the likelihood of their perception of the power dynamics in a classroom. I personally believe that like you said we must be mindful in the way we communicate as this would allow us to demonstrate power without needing the backing of the credibility of a title. I think moving forward I will pay more heed to my use of language in all the situations I am in. I am grateful for the insight you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hein! The idea behind authority and language is really fascinating! I've seen many instances where otherwise fantastic presentations are ruined by the overuse, and often unconscious, use of "um" and "like." In the same vein, using authoritative speech, or even just speaking loudly and stability, can result in a good presentation, even if you stumble on a couple of words. I also think that your statement about why some teachers are respected while others are not is especially fascinating. I've noticed that some teachers are nice, yet not respected, while others are both nice and respected. A certain level of authority is necessary to maintain order in a classroom that is sometimes shied away from. A little bit of confidence can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anushree Navaneethakrishnan -- Week 13: The Forgotten Locker Code - 03/19

Anushree Navaneethakrishnan -- My Last One, I Promise -- 05/14

Yash Sinha - Week 14 - My Favorite Memory